It's been an unusual growing season so far, with spells of hot temperatures interrupted with a week of relative cold and damp. It's enough to confuse any home gardener as to when to turn the hose on and off.
The Marin Municipal Water District has several tips to help all of us save money and save our plants:
- Water in the early morning when it’s cool and the wind is calm to reduce evaporation.
- Group plants with similar water needs together.
- Apply mulch to garden beds to slow evaporation of moisture from the soil.
- Fix irrigation leaks and adjust sprinkler heads so that they water plants, not pavement. Trim back vegetation where it blocks spray patterns.
- Install a rain shutoff device if you don’t have one.
- If you see misting, install a pressure reducer.
- Consider investing in a “smart” irrigation controller, which adjusts automatically to give your plants just the right amount of water.
So, head to the local nursery and heed the watering advice to spruce up the yard a bit.
30 Stetson Avenue, Kentfield; Listed at $1,595,000; 4 Bed, 3 1/2 Bath; 2,912 sq. ft.
57 Piedmont Road, Larkspur; Listed at $1,250,000; 3 Bed, 2 1/2 Bath; 1,980 sq. ft.
301 Via la Paz, Greenbrae; Listed at $1,540,000; 5 Bed, 3 Bath; 2,760 sq. ft.
30 Birch Avenue, Corte Madera; Listed at $889,000; 3 Bed, 2 Bath; 1,510 sq. ft.
23 Presidio Court, Corte Madera; List Price $1,225,000; Sales Price $1,175,000; 4 Bed, 3 Bath
16 Corte Los Sombras, Greenbrae; List Price $879,000; Sales Price $879,000; 4 Bed, 2 Bath
31 Turnagain Road, Kentfield; List Price $999,000; Sales Price $1,300,000; 3 Bed, 3 Bath
346 Madrone Avenue, Larkspur; List Price $799,500; Sales Price $794,500; 2 Bed, 3 Bath.
904 Sir Francis Drake Boulevard, Kentfield; Listed at $1,048/month; Studio
58 Lower Via Casitas, Greenbrae; Listed at $1,695/month; 2 Bed
Magnolia Ave. & Skylark Drive, Larkspur; $1,800/month; 1 Bed
1495 Casa Buena Drive, Corte Madera; $1,765/month; 1 Bed