Some faulty wiring to the holiday lights at Trader Joe's sparked a fire on the roof Wednesday afternoon.
Crews from Larkspur, Kentfield, Ross Valley and San Rafael fire agencies responded when reports of smoke at the Marin Central Plaza came in at 4:45 p.m.
Crews under the command of Battalion Chief Jim Lydon discovered a fire on the roof of the complex directly above Trader Joe's Market. Firefighters climbed a ladder to get to the Trader Joe's roof and found a fire in the parapet. The blaze was quickly extinguished.
Investigators determined that "faulty or damaged electrical wiring providing power for the exterior holiday lights" caused the fire.
There were no reports of injuries.
The damage, estimated to be less than $25,000, was contained to a small area above Trader Joe's. After the fire was fully extinguished, fire crews laid down plastic sheeting to help protect the area from any water damage during the anticipated storms this week. Trader Joe's remained open during regular business hours Wednesday.
There were no reports of additional damage to the neighboring businesses, Men's Wearhouse and Cost Plus.