REPORT: Sandy Hook Students to Return to School After the Holidays [UPDATE]

A special area at the Board of Education administrative buildings in Newtown has been designated for Sandy Hook teachers, according to signs at the facility.

Update 2:42 p.m.

CNN is reporting that Sandy Hook students will not return to school until after the holidays.

The cable network read a letter written by Newtown's Superintendent of Schools stating that "students need to feel comfortable after this trauma in this new place." The Superintendent also stated that teachers may be calling Sandy Hook parents to visit Chalk Hill this week so that they could get acquainted with the new building.

Update 11:30 a.m.

Children taking the bus to school in Newtown Tuesday morning waved to huddled groups of press members stationed across the street.

One couple walking their daughter to school positioned themselves on either side of the girl, each holding a hand.

On this the first day of school since Friday’s horrific shooting in Newtown, police can be seen at Newtown Middle School, the Hawley School, an elementary school, and administrative buildings.

The mood at the Board of Education building on this dreary, overcast morning is somber, as administrators and teachers walk about. A special area in the administrative buildings has been designated for Sandy Hook teachers, according to signs posted on the walls.

Police from Greenwich are aiding in the effort to bolster the presence. Police on scene declined to comment on the extra safety measures.

At Hawley, each car that pulls into the school is being checked by a police officer.

Original Story

For the first time since a gunman opened fire at Sandy Hook Elementary School and took the lives of 20 children and six adults, Newtown students are back in school this morning.

Police have said there will be officers stationed at all Newtown schools today, as an added measure of safety and security following the deadly shooting that took place the morning of Friday, Dec. 14. All schools in town were locked down for about two-and-a-half hours that day while police secured the scene at the elementary school.

When the lockdown had been lifted and as state police began to release information, students, teachers and residents — and the world — learned the horrifying news that a 20-year-old man, Adam Lanza, had reportedly shot and killed his mother Nancy in their Newtown home before forcing his way into the nearby school and killing 20 children and six adults.

Why he went to the school remains a mystery as police have not released any information about a motive. The investigation is ongoing and the school is closed as a crime scene — it will stay that way for months, police have said.

In the meantime, Sandy Hook students will be attending class at Chalk Hill in Monroe, the next town over. When they will return to the classroom has not been announced, but the stage has been set for that transition as officials from both towns met last night to solidify those plans [more on that below].

While the future of Sandy Hook School is uncertain — some in town say they would like to see it torn down and rebuilt — parents have been forced to have very difficult conversations with their children about the tragedy. Several of the parents Patch talked to over the weekend spoke of the challenges they faced in talking with their children about what had happened, and reassuring them that school is a safe place.

Standing behind the caution tape outside Sandy Hook Elementary on Friday, the father of a third-grader who escaped unharmed wondered if his son would want to go back to school. He said his son's sense of safety and security had been shattered.

"I had a sense of security," he added.

Stage Set for Temporary School in Monroe

Town officials and Gov. Dannel Malloy worked to make sure nothing stood in the way of having Sandy Hook School students relocated to Chalk Hill in Monroe, the next town over from Newtown. Yesterday afternoon, Malloy signed an executive order suspending and modifying some state statutes so the plan could move forward as quickly as possible.

“Understanding that this is an emergency situation for Sandy Hook Elementary School, it is necessary to act immediately so the school can move forward with its needs,” Malloy said in a statement released Monday afternoon. “I know that I speak on behalf of all residents of the state in thanking the town of Monroe and its elected officials for acting so quickly and allowing the use of their school building at this incredibly difficult time.”

The executive order waived the legislative requirement for two public notices and a public hearing on the agreement which would have dragged out the process for another two to three weeks.

A Flurry of Procedure in Newtown

At a 7:30 p.m. emergency meeting at the Newtown Municipal Center, a host of town officials pushed through a resolution to allow Sandy Hook elementary students to use Chalk Hill School.

The Board of Selectmen convened the meeting after Newtown First Selectman Pat Llodra announced the emergency protocol. In a procedural flurry, the boards of Selectmen, Education, and Finance as well as the Legislative Council opened sessions, voted unanimously and vigorously for the resolution, and closed sessions. The entire process took about five minutes.

The only comment at the meeting came from Legislative Councilman George Ferguson.

"Thank you to all of you," said Ferguson. "You're doing a wonderful job. This has been a terrible tragedy, and you've all been providing excellent and wonderful leadership. We appreciate it."

'We planned and planned' — Action in Monroe

Meanwhile, at an emergency Monroe Town Council meeting Monday night to vote on a resolution allowing Sandy Hook School to use the building, an emotional First Selectman Steve Vavrek expressed his belief that a higher power was at work.

"Those of us in Monroe know how long it took to figure out what to do with Chalk Hill," he said. "We planned and planned — and it wasn't our plan. It was God's plan."

The Town Council unanimously approved the resolution.

Just before the vote, Town Council Chairwoman Enid Lipeles said, "This is the worst thing that happened in America. We don't want to discuss it. We want to approve it, so you can get started."

Once the first selectman signs and executes the resolution, Town Attorney Jack Fracassini said it will be effective immediately and be good through June of 2013.

Fracassini worked on the agreement with Newtown Town Attorney David Grogins and Vavrek said there was assistance from Congressman Jim Himes' office. According to the agreement, Newtown will pay for any costs to the town of Monroe and themselves for its use of the building.

'Love and Compassion'

Prior to the vote, Town Councilman J.P. Sredzinski noted how rare it is for the council to hold emergency meetings, adding this is his first in seven years on the council.

"Although our meeting results from unspeakable tragedy, tonight's meeting serves only one purpose ... to show love and compassion for our fellow neighbors," Sredzinski said. "In a time when so many in our community and around the world are feeling helpless for those precious lives lost, we in Monroe have an opportunity to help our neighboring town. And it is my hope and prayer that we begin what will be a long, long healing process from this point forward."

Sredzinski thanked Vavrek, Llodra, State Rep. DebraLee Hovey (R-112th) — who attended the meeting, Lipeles, the boards of education from both towns and Monroe Supt. of Schools James Agostine for working together to make everything possible.

"As we all know, there is much to be proud of in our fine community, but I can say without hesitation: I have never been as proud of my town of Monroe as I am today," Sredzinski said. "To provide a school home for all those children who have been through more than any human being should have to endure, and to welcome them with open arms is something positive we can take from this senseless tragedy. Madam chair I am in full support of the motion."

How it Happened

Vavrek said he texted Newtown First Selectwoman Pat Llodra on Friday saying, "We have a building for you whenever you want to look at it."

The next day, Monroe officials met at Chalk Hill with representatives from Newtown to assess the building and Newtown's needs. Then at 7 a.m. on Sunday, both town attorneys met to work on an agreement.

"I never remember something working so quickly," Vavrek said.

Mr D. December 18, 2012 at 05:47 PM
I was going to suggest a variation on that theme. Remodel the school but tear down the section where people were killed and turn it into a memorial garden. Only if that's not practical or acceptable then tear it down and rebuild a new school next to it. Either way I'm sure that private donnations and state sponsorship will help the town pay for it. Also KUDOS for the elected officials of Monroe, Newtown and the State for cutting through the red tape and coming up with a temporary solution so quickly! We all love to hate our local bureaucracy but credit is due on this one.
Mike December 18, 2012 at 06:18 PM
Sending thoughts and prayers from your fellow New Englanders in Tewksbury, MA RIP little ones
Robin Reef December 18, 2012 at 06:24 PM
I cried when I heard the awefull news of what happened in Newtown. I know this is going to raise the issue of gun control again which is needed. Adam Lanza's mother died because she bought a gun and housed it in the same location as someone with severe mental issues. If she didn't have an automatic weapon she and others would have likely still died but in fewer numbers. Whether Columbine, Virginia Tech, the Gabby Gifford shootings, the killing of Gianni Versace... the other common thread is mental illness. The week before this incident in Newtown the big story in NYC was about a man who was pushed on to the subway tracks to his death by a man who was hallucinating. In NYC that happens ever 5-6 years. Was Adam Lanza taking medication? Was he taking it consistently? Was his mother able to ensure he was taking it? Is anyone possibly able to control someone who is that mentally unstable? Is there a point at which society's right for public safety overrides someone's right to privacy? Where is there an open discussion in this country about what to do with the dangerously mentally ill?
Jaimie Cura December 18, 2012 at 08:30 PM
Bill Hart from the Newtown Board of Education sent us the following tweet: @NewtownPatch from #NewtownBOE - no date has been set for SHS reopening. We are evaluating on a daily basis. https://twitter.com/Bill1550/status/281132517610881024
Tim December 19, 2012 at 01:05 AM
Assuming the house was own by Nancy Lanza (who was also a victim) why would it not go to her next of kin, ie: Ryan Lanza? Not only was Ryan cleared by police and innocent, but he was initially wrongly accused of this heinous crime. Do you really believe the government should be allowed to seize private property as it sees fit? Isn't that what governments do in third world banana republics?


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »