The Marin Municipal Water District is holding an informational meeting on the district’s Draft 2012 Vegetation Management Plan (Draft 2012 VMP) for Watershed Lands on Tuesday, Sept. 11, 6:30-9 p.m., at Redwood High School.
The workshop will include:
- Description of the development of the Draft 2012 VMP and other background information so that participants will understand where we are in the planning process;
- Overview and highlights of the Draft 2012 VMP by author and lead consultant Leonard Charles to answer participants’ questions about the Draft;
- Information on the upcoming environmental review process leading to the release of an environmental impact report (EIR) in 2013 so that participants will learn how to be most effective in the public participation process.
MMWD released the Draft 2012 VMP in early August when the Board of Directors authorized a contract to begin the environmental review process on the plan. That process is scheduled to start in late September/early October.
The Draft 2012 VMP explains the district's goals for managing its 22,000 acres of watershed land and describes actions to achieve those goals.
The main goals are:
- To protect Marin's communities, water supply and natural resources from catastrophic wildfire.
- To preserve habitats, plants and animals into the future.
- To prepare for and adapt to future changes.
Only after completion of the EIR process will the Board of Directors consider review and adoption of the Draft 2012 VMP to replace the district's original VMP, completed in 1995.
The Draft 2012 VMP, the 1995 VMP and several environmental studies and reports related to this project are available on MMWD’s website.
The Sept. 11 meeting will be held in the Kreps Conference Room at Redwood High School, 365 Doherty Drive, Larkspur. A section of Doherty Drive traveling east from Magnolia Avenue to the high school will be closed for roadway improvements. Attendees will need to access Redwood High School via Lucky Drive. Click here for more information about the roadway improvements.