A Sibling Preparation Class for Expectant Parents and “Soon-To-Be Big Brothers and Sisters,” Ages 3-12 Years Old.
This class is designed to help families pull closer together as they learn about what to expect when a new baby is born into the family.
When a family is expecting a new baby, it is sometimes hard for an older brother or sister to know what to do and how to feel. It is easy for a sibling to love a new baby sister or brother, but it is just as easy to be angry or resentful at the same time. It is very important to establish good communication between family members that will allow children to continue to feel they are an intrinsic part of the family dynamics when the new baby arrives home. A tour of the hospital room and newborn nursery is offered. We recommend class registration just prior to delivery.
- Simple discussion at a child’s level
- Changes going on in the family, with mom and dad, and what the child can expect.
- What will the new baby look like?
- Pictures of newborn appearance and newborn hospital procedures
- Talk about newborn delivery and mom’s appearance
- Movie “Sibling Silly”
- Role playing with dolls to learn how to diaper and hold baby
- Tour of hospital room and newborn nursery